I don’t know about you, but one of my favorite cookies is shortbread! Ever since I had Walkers shortbread cookies in Scotland years ago, I’ve been hooked. And honestly, shortbread cookies aren’t that hard to make! But this year, especially for Valentine’s Day I decided to zhuzh my shortbread cookies up! Plus, I like that these cookies are ‘pink’ because of the maraschino cherries. Adds that extra bit of love for this Valentine’s Day! And hey, those cherries pair so well with the pecan and almond flavors!
If you’re wondering why my cookies have those lovely designs on them, I’m also using an embossed rolling pin to leave a pretty floral pattern all over my cookies. Highly recommend Embossed Co if you’re looking for an embossed rolling pin. They have tons of patterns for different holidays and they’re made from 100% pure high-grade solid beech wood, 100% food-safe and free of BPA to boot. Really, aside from letting the dough sit in the fridge to chill, these cookies are quick and kind of a breeze to make! So let’s mix up some dough and get some cookies made for your Valentine!
Cherry Pecan Shortbread Cookies
- 2 sticks room temperature salted butter
- 1 cup white granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup maraschino cherries, drained and finely chopped
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 2 1/2 cups flour + a few tablespoons for rolling
- 1 cup pecans, finely chopped
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/2 cup chocolate
- sea salt
- In a mixer, blend butter and sugar until well combined. Finely chop cherries. Add cherries and almond extract to butter and sugar and mix until well combined (and dough is now 'pink'). With mixer on, slowly add in flour, finely chopped pecans and pinch of salt. Make sure to spatula the sides and incorporate everything together. Once everything is mixed well, wrap or put in bag and set in fridge for 2-4 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Remove dough from fridge, flour counter and roll dough until about 1/4 inch thick (depending on preference). Cut into preferred shape. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and place on cut cookies. Bake for 9-11 minutes or until center or cookie is set. Remove from oven and transfer to cooling rack. Cool and enjoy!
- **Optional**Melt 1/2 a cup of chocolate in microwave (stirring every 30 seconds or until melted). Dip half of each cookie in chocolate and sprinkle chocolate with a pinch of flaky sea salt.