Happy 4th of July to my fans from the USA! I don’t know about all of you, but it’s HOT here. And humid. Ughs. I don’t mind heat, but the humidity leaves me cranky. And nothing better to cool off then a nice summer spritzer! This one, inspired by the 4th of July is red, white, and blue! It’s easy to make, packed with lots of fresh fruit flavor, and non alcoholic (though let’s get serious, some gin or vodka would go lovely with these!).
Here are a few tips and tricks for the perfect spritzer!
- Use fresh fruit! Summer is the perfect time to pick strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, and blueberries, use them! They’re best muddles so it releases all their natural juices and oils!
- Pair them with something citrus-y or herb-y! Or both! Fresh herbs like mint, thyme, and basil are great additions to any drink! Muddle them with your berries or add them as a garnish. Lemon, lime, and oranges also pair great with most berries and are a great flavor boost to your drink!
- If you don’t like the seeds from berries, strain your muddled mixture! It will ensure you just get the juice and you won’t have to contend with any of those fruit seeds that get stuck in your teeth!
- Use fun glasses! We’ve used these lovely copper mugs from Moscow Muled! Being metal, they help keep your drink cold and insulted despite the summer heat!
Also, speaking of copper mugs, I know you guys are sucking down daily Moscow Mules this summer but be wary with those copper mugs if you’re drinking super acidic drinks in them! Many don’t include any lining in their mugs and copper will seep into your drinks. It actually can cause copper toxicity. Seriously, no joke! I had no idea and that’s why cups like Moscow Muled include a nickel lining to prevent the reaction between copper and acidic fluids.
But hey, let’s get mixing some drinks so you can enjoy these, sitting on a patio somewhere, absorbing that summer sunshine!
Red, White, and Blue Summer Spritzer
- 3 limes juices
- 1/2 cup fresh raspberries
- 1/2 cup fresh blackberries
- 8 small scoops lemon sorbet (can also use any flavor sherbert!)
- 1 liter lemon lime seltzer (can use lemon, lime, or berry flavored!)
- extra raspberries and black berries for garnish
- In a large pitcher, squeeze juice from 3 limes. Add in berries and muddle. If you don't have a muddler you can use the back of a wooden spoon. **If you don't want any seeds or pulp in your drink, you can strain juice/berry mixture now.** Add in all of the lemon lime seltzer and stir until combined. Pour into mugs and add two scoops of lemon sorbet to each drink. Stir, sip, and enjoy!