I love salads, but sometimes in winter and cold weather, I just crave carby comfort meals. Well this salad changes that! It’s loaded with fresh flavors and brings out those lovely winter fruits that I think get super underutilized. Blood oranges are in season now and they make just about any salad pretty, add in a punch of that fresh fennel, chopped avocados, pistachios, and a bit of feta and you have yourself a hearty winter salad! It’s paired with a lovely shallot lemon vinaigrette that gives this salad life. All these paired together and you’ll have guests asking for seconds! I had one of my bestest friends in the world over today with her newborn son and mom and we had this salad and chicken and rice soup and they were both a hit! So grab your cutting board and a big bowl and let’s start chopping!
Blood Orange and Fennel Salad with Shallot Lemon Vinaigrette
For the Salad
- 2 whole blood oranges, peeled and chopped into bite sized pieces (if blood oranges are out of season, any orange type citrus will work!)
- 1/2 cup shelled and chopped up toasted pistachios (if you can't find pistachios, toasted pecans or almonds work great too!)
- 1 bulb fennel, quartered and chopped into slivers
- 2 whole avocado, peeled, de-pitted, and diced
- 1 cup crumbled feta
- 8 cups mixed greens, roughly chopped baby greens, spinach, and arugula all work great here!
For the Shallot Lemon Vinaigrette
- 2 whole lemons, juiced
- 1 whole shallot, minced
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- In a mason jar or other small bowl, add all dressing ingredients. Shake until well combined and let sit for 15 minutes. In a large bowl place roughly chopped greens. Peel and chop oranges and avocados. Thinly slice fennel bulb and place everything on top of greens in bowl. Top with chopped pistachios and feta. Drizzle with dressing and toss everything to combine. Serve immediately and enjoy!