Happy National Cheese Day!! In celebration I’m sharing this easy and cheese summer chicken quesadilla. This is a great recipe for using some of those great summer veggies from the garden! Easily made vegetarian too! Just double the veggies (or add some chopped up cooked tofu or tempeh)! Plus, by using rotisserie chicken, your protein already cooked!
The key to a good quesadilla is to cook them low and slow. Too high heat and you’ll burn the tortilla and too low and you won’t get that yummy golden brown quesadilla. You can also cook these in the oven (350° for 15 minutes), but this recipe is for the stove top. But grab some veggies and let’s get cooking!
Easy Cheesy Summer Chicken Quesadilla
Super simple and delicious summer chicken quesadilla, loaded with veggies and cheese, this is sure to be a hit in your house for a quick summer meal!
- 1 pack 10 medium sized flour tortillas
- 1 cup zucchini, finely chopped
- 2 ears corn, kernels cut off from cob
- 1/2 jalapeno, seeds removed, and finely minced
- 1 1/2 cups chopped up rotisserie chicken
- 2 cups shredded cheese (Mexican blend, cheddar, or monterey jack work!)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 packet taco seasoning (or 2 tbsp if you have the big container like we do!)
- 2 tbsp salted butter (easier if you keep it a stick and just smear it on the bottom of the pan for each new quesadilla)
- 1/2 cup red onion, finely chopped
- In a large bowl, combine everything except the cheese and tortillas. Mix together until oil covers everything. Add in cheese and mix until everything is well combined. Place large skillet on stove on medium to medium low heat. Once hot, smear butter on the bottom on the pan, place tortilla on pan and spoon veggie cheese filling on top of tortilla. Top with other tortilla. Press down every minute (to ensure it sticks together) and after about 4 minutes, flip to other side. Once cooked, set aside and let cool for a few minutes and then cut into quarters. Serve immediately with your favorite salsa, sour cream, or guacamole. Enjoy!