Look no further, we’re upping your ‘pigs in a blanket’ game. I don’t know about you, but sometimes, I just want some quick and easy comfort food. Now kielbasa holds a special place in my heart, maybe because I’m mostly German, or maybe because it reminds me of spending time with the family every year and eating it with sauerkraut, mashed potatoes, and apple butter, regardless, it’s one of my favorite comfort foods. This appetizer is super easy to make and if kielbasa isn’t you’re thing, it’s easy subbed for any of your favorite sausage, hot dogs, or you could even do with with a vegetarian sausage! By using store bought puffed pastry, it makes this recipe a breeze!
Some helpful tips and tricks to make this easier:
- Make sure to leave ‘pastry dough’ on the side of the roll where the roll ends. This will be where the dough is pressed together and held together by the mustard ‘glue.’ If you try to get the pastry to stick to the cheese, it won’t work!
- Try to cut the sausage in as straight of a line as you can, this ensures that the pastry wrap will be even and you won’t have any air bubbles or weird rolls.
- Wrap the kielbasa and tightly as you can, if it’s not wrapped tight the sausage pieces have a tendency to ‘pop out’ when the puffed pastry bakes up.
- If you’re unsure of your wraps, push a toothpick through both sides, this will ensure everything stays in place!
- If you’re not a fan of that baked crunchy cheese like I am, feel free to not cut these until after they come out of the oven, then you’ll just have melty cheese!
Now that you have all those tips, let’s get baking!
Cheddar Kielbasa Bites
- 2 12-13oz packages Kielbasa (or your favorite sausage)
- 1 17 oz box Puffed pastry thawed (there should be two sheets in a package)
- 5 tbsp Brown mustard (we like hot or horseradish!)
- 10-12 slices Cheddar Cheese
- 1 egg beaten
- 2-3 tbsp poppy seeds or sesame seeds
- 1 tbsp salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°. With a rolling pin, roll out puffed pastry sheets. Spread mustard evenly between two sheets of puffed pastry. On top of mustard, place slices of cheddar cheese (make sure to leave puffed pastry free of cheese on one edge so it 'sticks' to the dough when you wrap the sausage). Next, cut kielbasa ring in half (skip this step if using straight sausage). Place on puffed pastry and wrap kielbasa with dough until covered completely around, seal edge by pressing firmly on them. Make sure sausages are wrapped very tightly. Cut excess dough off sides with a pizza cutter of knife. Cut wrapped sausage into bite sized pieces and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment. With a brush, brush beaten egg on top of kielbasa bites. Sprinkle with sesame or poppy seeds and salt. Place in middle rack of oven and cook until golden brown (about 15-20 minutes). Serve immediately while still hot with optional dipping mustard or cheese sauce. Enjoy!