Oh man, cheesesteaks are kind of one of my favorite things. It didn’t help growing up that Philly was only an hour away and I pretty much had the best cheesesteaks in the world right in my backyard. I did have a bit of Western PA influence though, with my weird love of pickles on my cheesesteaks as well (thanks mom!), but I’m a sucker for all that caramelized onion, melty cheese, and meaty goodness. And in all actuality, I think that chicken or pork (DiNic’s…. YES) cheesesteaks don’t get enough love. Because seriously, they’re delicious! Plus a bit healthier too!
So today I’ve combined two of my favorite things, pizza and cheesesteaks, to create this Chicken Cheesesteak Naan Pizza. Naan is a great vessel to make pizza on because it’s not to thick, or thin, and the bottom crisps up really nice when it’s baked. It holds together great and it’s perfect for pizza! This recipe does require some chopping and sautéing, but is easily made ahead and refrigerated the night prior. It’s great for those picky eaters too, because everyone can custom make their own naan pizza based on what they like! My favorite cheesesteak toppings are hot peppers, pickles, and a drizzle of hot sauce, but you can make your own ‘topping bar’ and people can choose their own! So grab your skillet, preheat your oven, and let’s get some naan pizzas in the oven!
- 1 package of naan bread (4 pieces of naan)
- 1 pound thin sliced chicken (can thinly cut breasts too if you’d prefer), cut into bite sized thin strips
- 1 large red onion, peeled, halved, and thinly sliced
- 2 bell peppers, de-seeded and thinly sliced
- 4 cloves or garlic, pressed
- 2 T of worcestershire sauce
- 2 T butter or oil of your choice for pan
- 1 lb sliced provolone cheese, cut into quarters
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella
- 1 small jar of spaghetti sauce
- Spice mix combined together:
- 1/2 T ground black pepper
- 1 T garlic salt (I prefer Lawry’s)
- 1/2 T garlic powder (I know.. how much garlic is in here? My blog, my rules, and I love garlic 😀)
- 1/2 T onion powder
- 1/2 tsp of red pepper flakes (omit if you don’t like spicy)
- Hot peppers
- Chopped dill pickles or relish
- Hot sauce
- Hot pepper sandwich spread
- Banana Peppers
Preheat oven to 400°. Thinly slice onions, peppers, and chicken and place in separate bowls. Sprinkle each bowl with even amount of spice mixture. Press garlic and mix into chicken along with worcestershire sauce. Melt butter in pan on medium high heat, pour in chicken mixture and sauté until cooked through. Remove from pan, but keep liquid in plan to give all the yummy flavor to the onions and peppers. Sauté peppers and then onions and place back in bowls. To assemble naan pizzas, place naan on parchment paper, evenly spread sauce, place provolone pieces, and sprinkle mozzarella evenly on each piece of naan. Top each naan with chicken, peppers, and onions. Place in oven for 10-15 minutes until cheese become melted and lightly golden. Immediately remove from oven, let set for 5 minutes, and then slice into quarters, serve and enjoy! Here’s a little stop motion of all the steps!