All this rainy weather makes me want comfort food, and comfort food is what this recipe is. Now, everyone who’s coming here for healthy recipes, look away now, like right now! This is not, nor will it ever be, healthy. But delicious? Yes. 110% YES. This is a family favorite for just about any of our Italian meals. The key is fresh bread, fresh garlic, and a whole boatload of cheese. Once you slice and slather all the yummy bread with spicy garlic butter, you’re literally loading this with cheese and baking it. Something magic happens to cheese not only when it melts, but when it starts to lightly brown and caramelize. Add some garlic and some heat? Bread carb heaven. And side note, those crunchy cheese bits that cook on the sheet pan are the best, right? My husband and me fight over them once this comes out of the oven. The best! But seriously, whip up your favorite Italian dish and serve this to suck up all that extra red sauce. Trust me, you won’t be disappointed. Enjoy!
- 1 Loaf of good fresh bread, I recommend Italian or Sourdough sliced your you can also use a large baguette halved
- 6 cloves of garlic, pressed (or minced if you don’t have a garlic press)
- 1/2 stick of butter
- 1/4 cup of olive oil
- 1/2 T garlic salt
- 1 tsp of red pepper flakes (use less if you don’t like it spicy)
- 1.5 cups of grated mozzarella cheese
- 12 slices of provolone cheese, halved in half moons
- 1/2 cup of grated parmesan cheese
- Optional: Fresh parsley for garnish
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In microwave, melt butter. Once completely melted, mix in red pepper flakes, garlic salt, olive oil, and pressed garlic. Stir until completely combined. Slice bread. On a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, evenly place bread slices. With a spoon, drizzle and spread garlic butter onto each slice of bread. Evenly distribute three cheeses between bread pieces. Place in oven and cook for 15-20 minutes until cheese has melted and is lightly brown. Remove from oven and serve immediately. Enjoy all that cheesy goodness!